Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Naming a Baby Requires a PhD aka Book Review: The Art of Baby Nameology

Hi! This post has moved to here! Please update your bookmarks. Thank you!

In the past, choosing a name for your baby is probably an easy task. You hear a name, you like the name, you remember the name, you ask the other half if he likes it and viola! You're done.

Then later on, you have the Internet. You hear a name, you like the name, you remember the name, you check what is the meaning of the name in English and whether it means anything else in any other languages, you discuss with your other half and then you're done.

Then, as more and more people begin to use the same names; you want to stand out from the others so you start having variants in the names. A simple name such as "Katherine" and you can have "Catherine, Catharine, Catherine,  Catheryn, Cathleen, Cathline, Cathrine, Kathereen, Katheryn..." etc and all you need to do is to choose the variant that appeals to you most and the rest is as above.

Then you have the book on the left to tell you all about the numerology in a baby's name and how the number and the type of letters used in the names may affect the personality and traits of your little one (including the variants) and the list goes on....

What is It About
Written by Naomi J Watts, who is a student of astrology, she developed this reading call Nameology as a guideline in choosing names for people. According to her, it seems that presence of every letter or a vowel or what it starts with - you can be either heading for a life of riches, spiritually satisfied or a life straight from hell.

How to Use this Book
There are two ways to use the this book. First way is to convert the letter of your name into a number using the chart as provided in the book, add them all together till you get a single number (except for Master Numbers 11, 22, multiples of 10) and there will be an intensity number which dictates your personality.

Another way you can look at it is that the first letter is supposed to describe your basic personality such as how you approach opportunities and obstacles, or how the impressions you give to other people. Next, look for the first vowel in your name (A,E,I,O,U) and this will describe your deeper nature and feelings. Lastly, look for the last letter of your name and this will describe your
ability and attitude toward finishing what you started.

I Tried Analyzing My Name
I tried my analyzing my name and I am surprised by how accurate it is. My intensity number was calculated to be 5 and I am supposed to be a free spirit. It seems I am supposed to be "loving change, excitement, and adventure" and "are capable of doing almost anything". Hmmm, I don't think I am to that extent. Yes I like freedom but I know I still need a little discipline and control somewhere otherwise my life will just spiral without control. They went on to decribe how it resembles a Leo's personality - which I can safely say that I am not -  and that the biggest weakness are sweets and food. Hmmm... somehow this intensity number is not working out for me.

Then I tried the analysing the letters. This method definitely has more success than the intensity numbers. Wow. I am supposed to be "independent, energetic and self-motivated"  and "being happiest when they are independent or not depending on others". Wow, this is quite accurate. I tend to be very initiative and do not really like to lean on others for help unless I know this person can be trusted in his/her work scope. I can "usually detect insincerity right away" and "can be quite critical" of myself. This person must be psychic!

Conclusion
This book does really throw out some new ideas and thinking. However, to slowly analyse every single name can be really exhausting. Luckily, it does provide a list of names for males and females (albeit not many) and their meanings. Some of them include variants of the names and it is quite interesting to observe how a mere addition of a letter can change the character of a person. Yet I will say do not focus too much attention on this book while selecting the perfect name because you will go crazy doing so. Baby naming is a process that one should enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! Everyone has an opinion - even if our opinions differs (as long as it does not become personal!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...