Bookmark and Share

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Where Back Pain Hurts More than Most - Sacroiliac Pain

Hi! This post has moved to here! Please update your bookmarks. Thank you!
Sometimes it is better not to be your own doctor. When I was reading up more and more about back pain; I was totally convinced that what I had was the Sciatic Nerve Pain. I was almost mentally preparing myself for a difficult birth already.

When the movements just shot excruiating jolts of pain into my lower left pelvis, I knew that if I don't see the doctor soon I would be crumbling into a massive heap. So I rushed to see my gynaecologist as soon as possible. Thank goodness that what I had wasn't the Sciatic Nerve problem. Rather, it was a much-lesser known problem called the Sacroiliiac Pain.

Now if you have noted in my earlier post about Sciatic Nerve Pain, I am obviously not from the medical  profession so I have no idea how to explain or understand these terms. However, I know that from the layman terms they have placed on the website; I do understand what is going on. Here is some information that may be useful to you if you do have back pains like mine and are unsure of what is going on.

What is Sacroiliiac Pain?
The Sacroiliac joint (or SI joint) connects the sacrum and the iliac crest to support the spine and hips. This joint is small and strong, and held together by tough fibrous ligaments. It is subjected to twisting and compression forces during normal activities.

Sacroiliac dysfunction may be the result of injury or inflammation. The pain is similar to sciatica and other back pain issues. It is sometimes difficult to pinpoint the cause of the lower back pain. Treatments for sacroiliac joint pain may also serve as diagnostic tools. Treatments range from very invasive surgeries to non-invasive anti-inflammatory medications and exercise.
(Read the Article Here)

What are the symptons of Sacroiliiac Pain?
The most common symptom of SI joint dysfunction is pain. Patients often experience pain in the lower back or the back of the hips. Pain may also be present in the groin and thighs. In many cases, it can be difficult to determine the exact source of the pain. Your physician can perform specific tests to help isolate the source of the pain. The pain is typically worse with standing and walking and improved when lying down. Inflammation and arthritis in the SI joint can also cause stiffness and a burning sensation in the pelvis.
(Read the Article Here)
How Does it Affect Pregnancy?
During pregnancy, mechanisms stabilising the SIJ is affected. This instability allows for increased motion, stressing the SIJ.
  1. Hormones released during pregnancy relax the ligaments of the body to allow the pelvis to enlarge, in preparation for childbirth
  2. Due to the growing uterus, some of the core muscles around the pelvis get ‘stretched’ and weakened.
Moreover, the additional weight and altered walking pattern associated with pregnancy can cause significant mechanical strain on the sacroiliac joints, which may result in SIJ inflammation, giving a deep ache in the posterior pelvis.

While pain may begin at any time during pregnancy, PPP on average begins in the 18th week of pregnancy and becomes more intense as the pregnancy progresses. The pain usually spontaneously resolves within 3 months post delivery. But in some cases it can become chronic and disabling.
(Read the Article Here)

Currently, I was given some pain killers, medicine plasters and some steriods (all which should be safe dosage for pregnancy). The pain has subside but I am also confined to bed rest for at least a week or two. Seriously, if I ever get pregnant again - please don't let me get this once more. It's really too painful just to move about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! Everyone has an opinion - even if our opinions differs (as long as it does not become personal!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...