Bookmark and Share

Monday, November 29, 2010

Review of BabyPlus Prenatal Education System - Product

Not long ago, I wrote about Babyplus Prenatal System. Out of curiosity, I searched around the Internet and found that it has a high resale value of S$180-$200. Not very willing to come out with the money, I asked around if someone was willing to lend it to me and lo! behold; some kind soul was willing to lend it to me till I give birth (Thank you!)! Now I was ready to try it out and see if it really does work! Some of us may argue, "Why mess with nature?" I have never been an easy kid since young - considering the countless trouble I got myself into or nearly got into. I won't say my life is hard but rather, I seem to take a long time to learn certain things which is essential to surviving in this society.

The Packaging
It stated that the device is made in China, even though the brand is from the USA. There are even positive testimonials from people from the medical fields printed on it. The packaging included an instruction manual, the carrying pouch and the babyplus unit. At least the box looked sturdy. If it had looked flimsy, I would definitely have second thoughts about it!



When you open the flap, you would find that they used research to support the theory that learning actually begins in the womb. Yet what follows more are more positive testimonials from those in the medical field. No statistics, no data, no nothing. The lessons are supposed to be played for one hour , twice a day and the best time to start is between 18-32 weeks of pregnancy.

The Product
There is a white carrier pouch that can be used to carry the baby plus device. It is adjustable with buckles so you can adjust it to any comfortable length to suit your size and position. To turn it on, all you need to do is to press the blue button and press continuously to switch modules. To turn it off, just press it for 3 seconds. Once it plays for a full hour, it will switch off automatically. However, if it is interrupted, it will continue for another full hour once more.

The audio device has a button on the top next to a display window that shows you the module that is being played. If a "b" appears, that means the battery (4 AA batteries) is low. If you do not replace them when the battery is low, a static noise would start to appear. I would admit that it is not very easy to replace the batteries but once you get the hang of it, it should be fine.

The Volume
The volume is loud! It was so loud that I do worry about how the volume of the sound transmitted through the womb. To play it safe, I positioned the device away from the recommended mid-abdomen area and usually place it either on my chest or at my lap. According to their website, it stated that volume of the device (when it reaches the baby in the womb) would be of 45-60 decibels. This is supposedly softer than 70 decibels where examples of sounds are  "busy traffic, office tabulator, noisy restaurant."  On their website, it stated that  "At this decibel level, noise may begin to affect your hearing if you're exposed to it constantly"! Gosh, if it is almost near that decibel, all the more I will rather place it further away than near the mid-abdomen!

Effects
Seriously, I wouldn't know until the baby is born. But I would like to keep track of it to see its effectiveness and would update my child's development regularly. Will she just let out a cry and start looking around alert or just scream bloody murder? Will she be able to display strong neck control before the age of three? Will she be able to reach her milestones of learning early? Or will it be me who becomes one of those unrealistic and starts to read too much into things? Let's just see how things go. I don't expect a Yale or Harvard graduate. I don't expect her to recite French poems by 2, do the multiplication tables by 3 or start reading up about O level physics by 4. I don't expect her to be a genius. I'm just doing what I can to be the best parent I can be and hope for the best for the child.

If you have any other questions about Babyplus, go to their FAQ here: http://www.babyplus.com/FAQ.%20I I'm pretty sure that they will be able to explain their product much better than anyone but as usual, like I always tell my students - read it objectively, critically and search for as many reviews as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! Everyone has an opinion - even if our opinions differs (as long as it does not become personal!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...